BB creams are all the rage in the US these days. From drugstore brands to high end, just about every single brand is launching their interpretation of the traditional Korean multi-purpose creams.
So just what is a BB cream?
BB cream stands for Blemish Balm cream. The concept for the product was developed by a German dermatologist who used it as a post-laser treatment makeup for patients. Not long after, Korean celebs made BB creams famous.
The product is coveted by Asian women and is a very versatile product. And now it's all the rage in the United States. A good BB cream will give you the look of flawless skin. It also can replace three staple products in your beauty routine: concealer, foundation, and moisturizer. Some even work well as a primer, oil control and anti-aging skin care product (depending on ingredients).
I have tried BB creams in the past from overseas, but that was a couple of years back and I am pretty much a mineral makeup devotee, so I hadn't tried any of the chemical-filled drugstore versions that are cropping up all over.
I recently was sent Jane Iredale's new BB cream called Glow Time Full Coverage Mineral BB Cream. As you know from reading this blog, I love Jane Iredale products, especially the Amazing Base SPF 20. I was eager to try this one!
According to the Jane Iredale site, "Glow Time covers blemishes, minimizes pores, disguises wrinkles and smoothes and brightens skin."
My initial thoughts
I have applied this three different ways. I have used my clean fingertips, a latex sponge, and a foundation brush (EcoTools Bamboo Foundation Brush, for reference).
The first time I used this, it was on a freshly cleansed and toned face using my fingertips. I used a small amount, as the product is very thick. I was worried that with the heat and humidity, plus the fact that my skin is more oily in the summer, the product would melt away because it seemed too thick and creamy.
I liked the silky texture once applied. What I was not crazy about, however, is the fact that the coverage is very full coverage. I feel that full coverage products typically age a person and look mask like. This product accentuated the couple little dry spots around my nose right off the bat. I was not in love with how it looked vs. how it felt when using just my fingertips.
I used a sponge another time, but found that the best means of application is using a damp foundation brush. I also find that it works best over a separate primer or lightweight moisturizer, as it looks a bit chalky otherwise.
Once you tinker around a bit and use trial and error to determine the best way for you to apply it, I think you'll be pleased with the outcome.
What I Liked:
- I like the ingredients when compared to other BB creams readily available in the United States. Please do not read that as this being truly natural.
- I love the fact that this is an SPF 25 and provides broad spectrum, mineral coverage.
- I like how it looks once it is applied--bright, fresh, even skin tone
- I like how it feels on my skin--gentle, silky, soothed
- The area on my face with more visible pores, my nose, is completely poreless when I wear this.
- When dabbed on lightly underneath my eyes, it completely conceals dark circles without caking! It is the best concealer ever.
Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) 20% Ingredients: Aqua/Water/Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Stearoxymethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Maltodextrin, Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Leaf Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Citrus Paradisi (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Fruit Extract, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Glycerin, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Pectin, Chlorella Vulgaris/Lupinus Albus Protein Ferment, Sodium Ascorbate, Tocopherol, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Raphanus Sativus (Radish) Root Extract, Lecithin, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract (and) Lonicera Japonica (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Aluminum Hydroxide, Xanthan Gum, May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288)
What I Am Not Crazy About
- The price point is high at $48. Granted, it takes care of buying 2 separate products (foundation and concealer), but it is still $48.
- Coverage is not truly buildable. I like something that starts sheer and I can make fuller if need be. This doesn't give you that sheer look you can achieve with other products. It starts full right off the bat and unless you want to dabble in mixing it up with water, toner, primer, or moisturizer, it just won't get lighter for you.
- It does contain silicone (not a problem for me, but may be for others) and Aluminum Hydroxide, which I am on the fence about.
Chic & Green Grade: B+